Friday, March 28, 2014

Glitterize It!

So a couple of months ago a came across this DIY post over at The Kinch Life and loved it. (I actually would like to sell this mirror to someone who has a perfect location for it, so let me know!)

Since I got this idea from Aubrey, here is the supplies she used that I used as well! Except I used a mirror instead of an ampersand.

Link
Not too long after that, Kayley and I went to an Estate Sale and came across this gem. Forgive my pictures, I should have done better but I started this after it was already dark outside and I don't have a good inside location for pics.


It was only $20, and it has the perfect frame for painting!! Anytime you see an estate sale or garage sale, stop and check it out. You never know what you'll find that can be painted/accessorized/cleaned up! 


My biggest question when doing this was the ratio of mod podge to glitter. The first coat (that thin part in the middle) was the first coat, and I didn't have enough glitter. You basically have to make it super thick so that the glitter covers the entire thing. 



This is the mixture that worked the best. I didn't measure so I can't actually tell you how much of each to put.


After only one thin coat and one good coat, this is the finished product!


And here it is up close. Note that it actually looks smooth. That glitter dust around the edges is dried that fell off as I was painting.


In case you are like me and like to paint glue on your hand to peel it off, this is the correct ratio of Mod Podge to Glitter.

Have you tried anything like this? I love DIY projects and so glad I came across this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment